Giving feedback about games

Game Editor comments and discussion.

Giving feedback about games

Postby lcl » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi!

I'm now trying to make all here think about how they could help other people
with the feedback they give after playing someones game.

What about starting to give some real feedback of people's games?
Why would one just tell that the game is awesome, without telling why, or, even worse, without actually thinking that way.

When commenting someones game, ask yourself do you really have something to comment.
If you're just going to say it's cool or something similar, which is your answer to everything, why even bother to write it?
You could make a shortening for it, like: TGIA = This Game Is Awesome. But would you like to hear only that every time you have done a massive amount of job for finishing a game?
Like ok, here's the comments of your game:
Comments on your game: wrote:
Mister unknown wrote:TGIA, truly TGIA.

Some random guy wrote:Very good game. :)
Nice work!

Gamer123456 wrote:I agree with Mister unknown and Some random guy. :)

Nice words, but totally useless.
With most games, there is something that people think is bad and what should be fixed. Telling it will help the one making the game.
When making a game you might accidentally ignore a problem, which someone else then notices and in the best case tells it to you and then you can fix your game.

Few things that may help to write a good feedback:
- Tell what things you like in the game
- Tell what would need to be fixed
- Maybe try to give some advice or ideas
- Being honest

Of course, writing a real feedback will take some time.
Make sure you have some time to spend when starting to write. :wink:
Also writing a good feedback gives you a nice feeling and also does the same for the one you wrote to.

And finally, don't think that I consider myself as a perfect person, or that I think I am better person than anyone of you or that I am just trying to show off my intelligence. :lol:
Because I don't, I am just trying to help you all help other people with your feedback.

Thanks for reading this. =)

- lcl -
lcl

Score: 276 Give a positive score

Re: Giving feedback about games

Postby makslane » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Great :-)

This kind of feedback will increase the quality of the games published here and will contribute for the quality of the coder too!
Game Editor is an open source game creator software that's wants to pay it's developers to keep evolving.
If you like Game Editor, make a review!
makslane
Site Admin

Score: 182 Give a positive score

Postby SuperSonic » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Thanks lcl, I will have to remember this when I post on other peoples games :)

+1 :wink:
A tree never hits an automobile except in self-defence.

Want to use your joystick or controller with Game Editor? Check out my controller engine =D
SuperSonic

Score: 72 Give a positive score

Postby NightOfHorror » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:38 pm

okay, you guys should start with my game that I asked for feedback on!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12136
"I have not failed. I just found 10,000 ways that wont work." quoted by Thomas Edison.
Over the year, I decided my motto for me is I am knowledgeable, but not practical.
NightOfHorror

Score: 51 Give a positive score

Postby skydereign » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:46 pm

I would warn though that some people aren't prepared to receive feedback like this. I know some users would get offended if I gave honest feedback, even if they were all meant to help them improve their game and their abilities with gameEditor. Because of this, I tend not to comment on the games posted on here. Since quite a few users here are younger, they might not realize the good intentions behind the feedback.
skydereign

Score: 589 Give a positive score

Postby Jagmaster » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:04 am

Quite frankly, this is essential. I thank you lcl, for pointing this out, this needed to be said.
Criticism is essential to producing anything of quality. A lot of uselessness and redundancy would be eliminated if people thought about this more before they posted.
I like your acronym as well, it reminds me of TGIF. And like you said, TGIA isn't really feedback at all. The game is awesome, but why? Is it really? If someone has something to say that's nice that's fine as well. But explain why. What do you like and how can I improve?

That should be another acronym! WDYL & HCII? (That's too long to remember :P )

I will certainly make an effort to be more productive and fruitful with what I post. It's a privilege to be on this forum, and the time used here should not be abused. (But that doesn't mean we can't have any fun either, of course.)

But yes, thank you again. Reading this was enjoyable. :D
Jagmaster

Score: 82 Give a positive score

Postby foleyjo » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:33 am

skydereign wrote:I would warn though that some people aren't prepared to receive feedback like this. I know some users would get offended if I gave honest feedback, even if they were all meant to help them improve their game and their abilities with gameEditor. Because of this, I tend not to comment on the games posted on here. Since quite a few users here are younger, they might not realize the good intentions behind the feedback.

What if when people post a game they can list what they want feedback on and people limit the feedback to those topics.

For example if I make a game that graphically looks bad, I may know it looks bad and am only wanting feedback on my coding methods.
KISS -Keep It Simple Stoopid
foleyjo

Score: 15 Give a positive score

Return to GE - General